Saturday, May 9, 2009

First 5K Race!!

19th Annual Fire Hydrant 5 Event to benefit the Larimer Humane Society.



I have always wondered if I could run a 5K race. I have always run inside on my home equipment and was not sure how that compared to running on the road. I month ago I found out about this race the the local Humane Society and as you know I have a soft spot in my heart for dogs. I knew that this was a fun way to support them and also try to set some of my own goals. So, I started training outside. Let me tell you there is a BIG difference running on a treadmill and running outside. The race was early so I was rushing around the house in the morning and I was so nervous leaving the house for the race I forgot, my ipod (but remembered my earphones), my water and ALYSSA. Mark was able to call the house and wake Alyssa and Tiffany and they surprised me at the finish line!! It was great to have there support. My goal was first to finish the race without walking and under 30 minutes. I accomplished both!! My finish time was 29:27. I was 6th in my age group. Not to bad for my first race?! Next race (the 5k Rocky Mountain Labrador rescue) is only a week away, back to training.

3 comments:

Angie Briggs said...

WOW!! Great job! Next thing you know you are going to be telling us is that you ran a half marathon and then a marathon and then a biathlon and then a triathlon... That is amazing, I am truly impressed.

Mom-Mom said...

To the finish.....Great Job Wendy. You thought you could and you did! Like you said: most people with exercise equipment don't use it.. not you! You made it work for you to the max! I'm so glad that the family was at the finsih line. I knew theyu would be. Remember the days when we knelt on the floor of the dinning room and watched Mark run? God bless my two precious runners!

amy said...

I agree running on the street is way harder! You did amazing. I admire you for your goal setting. I should set a goal and see if I can achive it---I think I could if I could get my laundry done today--not the same as running a 5K, but we all have to start somewhere :)! Good luck with your race tomorrow.

P.S. Sophia is very cute!